Who is going to help me remember that it is TUESDAY STACK THE CHAIRS DAY?
good afternoon 6th graders
(today is fill in the blank with WTG words)
i know u r very ___________________ about being back in school after a long, fun-filled weekend! :) thanks four being ____________________ in your high expectations of yourself in and out of school. i would like to _____________________ you on a job well done these past two weeks of school. you haven't __________________ in showing me that you are an incredible group of young people, and I really appreciate that you are thoughtful and kind toward one another and yourself. Remember to never _______________ at challenges even if they are _________________, because if you ________________ you will accomplish great things!!
love mrs p
this afternoon u will knead the following:
1. WTG Lesson 2
2. writing utensils (highlighters/pens if you have them)
3. Writing Journal
Today you will tape/staple your editing sheet into your journal with today's date. Then find the capitalization errors and correct them. Mark the bubbles when you find them. At the end of 4 minutes, you will join a buddy and continue the capitalization hunt for two minutes. WE will then correct as a class.
Reading: We are going to review CLOSE READ strategies;
1. look at pictures, headlines and think about what you think the text will be about. (do you think you are going to agree?)
2. skim the article for words that you don't know and highlight/underline
3. use dictionary to define unknown words and write your cues on the text
4. read the questions at the end of the article (but don't worry about answer options). This way you get an idea of what you need to look for as you read the article.
5. read the article. Write a brief 1-sentence summary at the bottom of each page
6. Write your name in the upper right corner of every single page...feel free to get creative (as long as i can read it!)
7. Find someone to share your article and your thoughts with, and help each other answer the questions (if you have different questions, help each other out, or find someone who has the same questions you have) Make certain you and your buddy agree on each answer.
8. When you finish, I will know because you will be doing one of the following options: Playing Whirly Word (on the board), working on WTG or working on Spelling City
GENIUS HOUR REQUIREMENTS:
Journal Entry Requirements:
11/26-Ch. 1 Questions
11/28-Ch. 2 Questions
12/6 Vocab. (1-10)
12/6-Ch. 3 Questions
12/7-Ch. 3-5 Questions
1/7-Journal Prompt for Vocabulary. and Ch. 6-7
1/10-Phantom Tollbooth Newsletter (worksheet)
1/14-Making Inferences/Ch. 6-10 Questions
1/15-Elements of a Folktale Graphic Organizer
1/16-Summary Graphic Organizer
1/23-5 Paragraph Essay (Summary)
1/24-Vocabulary for Ch. 11-15
1/25-Shurley P. 1,2
1/29-Analogies and Shurley
1/29-Ch. 12 Questions
2/1-Dreams (start writing and dreaming about your future)
2/12-Text to Self Journal Prompt "Infinite Self"
2/13-Vocabulary Sheet Ch. 12-15
2/15-Shurley (only #1 finished)
2/22-In the Dark Worksheet
2/25-26-Dictation with picture
2/25-26-Vocabulary Ch. 18-20
2/26-Shurley (on back of Dictation Worksheet)
2/27-Dictation (tape in later)
3/1-Final Project Options/Rubric
3/13-How Are Emoji's Made?
3/22-Story prompt sheet
4/8-Phase 1 DBI (Notice/Wonder)
4/9-Phase 2,3 DBI (Notice/Wonder)
4/10-Phase 4 DBI (Illustration)
4/10-4 Author Questions (Paul)
4/10-4 Author Questions (Josh, Ellie)
4/12-4 Author Questions (Karly)
4/15-Verb Tense Packet (completed)
4/16-Video Notes #1
4/18-Ch. 1-2 (3 Facts for each)
4/23-List of 15 Items
4/24-Top 10 List and 3 Questions
5/3-Ch. 9-12 (3 main events from each)
5/7-Create a comic strip for each ch. (1-12)
Words to Go Lessons
Shurley Parent Help Book: Click here to access the parent help book for Shurley.